Sunday 5 January 2014

Future cinema Ghostbusters 22nd

It was a grey and rainy night when  I set off for the Troxy Cinema limehouse to be immersed in the interactive cinema experience that is future cinema. Except it wasn't the tricky but the Sedgwick hotel ballroom and it was 1984 and I was attending an evening to celebrate a fashion icon.

One moment I was queuing in an alley down the side of the cinema next I saw a flash of light reflected from a building and I turned and there was a very familiar white Cadillac ambulance heading towards me complete with  crew of Ghostbusters and then their was a reporter and someone with a camcorder interviewing  the girls  in the queue behind me about their haute couture. The girls response was mango which prompted the reporter to say Maaan- goooo   in her best fake American accent . "Ain't that some kind of fruit."



The queue started moving forward and we edged round the corner  skirting a New York cop patrolling  the pavement. We plunged into the world of the Ghostbusters.

We were asked to hopscotch through the lobby and walked into the main cinema. The front was  an array of tables and acting on information from Naomi one of our party who had been before but hadn't been before Craig and I the first two to arrive headed for a table right at the front.
It turned out  to be a great choice although it turned out Naomi had meant a table at the front of the raised area rather than right near the stage but it did mean we were right in the thick of the action.

Craig and I settled in our table having saved various seats for members of our party by distributing scarves and coats.

Now there is a disadvantage in going to events with meetup where fancy dress is expected. So when someone dressed  as a Ghostbusters Sat at our table I wasn't sure whether it was a member of our party or an actor.  So when he accused me of looking at him funny I wasn't too sure what to do . However clued  up by the mango conversation I thought on my feet and said " I was looking at you with respect for the great job you re doing keeping the city free from ghosts" He then shook my hand. and we had a short chat.

The rest of the group drifted in and I could then explore. The back of the audiotorium was dressed with vintage desks with seriously retro gear  floppy disks , big computers , rotary phones. Their were microscopes to peer into. More desks, an evidence room with various props.

Their was some very  American food . Our table was wafted by the scent of popcorn and while we were waiting for rest of our party.

We had prime seat right at the front and once the film started we were  prime position for seeing all the shenanigans. Ranging from holographic ghosts getting zapped









Reenactments of parts of the film .

The grand finale was half the tables being stripped away in our section. Not ours to start with to allow for the inflating of a certain giant marshmallow sailor. Shortly afterwards when the film was over our tables were also spirited away and then it was time to dance like it was 1984 The only problem was that I had to leave early well about 10 30 for my traditional mad dash to Euston.. it was a great way to finish my Alternative nightlife adventure in2013  which had taken me from seedy Victorian glamour in a railway tunnel to  loud brash 1980s "glamour " in an art deco cinema pretending to be the ballroom of a new York hotel . What a journey :) Here's to 2014.



No comments:

Post a Comment